Last Tuesday at this time I was not getting ready for work. I was sleeping. And then I was reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Later I went for an hour-long bike ride along the beach, followed by wine tasting with friends at a couple of local wineries. Truly a day to remember and repeat whenever possible. And then, to make it even more amazing, a bacon double cheeseburger at the Habit. Definitely in my Top 5 Best Uses for Bacon. In fact, let’s make a list:
1) Bacon-Wrapped Filet – I know, so typical and run-of-the-mill. But it’s popular for a reason. I would eat it every other day if it didn’t make me feel so guilty.
2) Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus – Pretty common in my house these days. I always thought that asparagus was the world’s greatest veggie, but bacon bumps it up to Food of the Gods. Less guilt-inducing than bacon-wrapped red meat.
3) Carbonara – I know this dish is traditionally made with eggs and pancetta, but I’ll take any bastardized version. Bacon, cream, parmesan and pasta are most common in my house, because those are ingredients I always have on hand. MORE guilt-inducing than bacon-wrapped red meat.
4) Bacon Cheeseburger – Preferably with American cheese, shredded lettuce and a slice of ripe tomato. Which is why the Habit ranks so high on my list of favorite burger joints.
5) Country Gravy & Biscuits – There is a big debate about whether gravy should be made with sausage or bacon. I have a very strong opinion…bet you can’t guess what it is. This is probably my guiltiest bacon pleasure, because it’s basically carb-topped carbs. Thank goodness it comes with fried eggs!
It appears that most of our readers are not big commenters, but I’d really love to hear your thoughts on this. What are your favorite uses for bacon? I just know someone out there has a fabulous favorite that’s going to make me bump my #5. Either that, or start building my Top 10 list.